Did you know you can “rest” to make an exercise MORE intense? It’s called the “Pause-Rest”. This is a technique I incorporate very often especially since I lift alone most of the time. It is very simple to do:
- After warm up sets hit a set to failure or very near failure while keeping safe.
- Rack the weight and rest for a quick 5-10secs.
- Get right back into the set to failure or near failure again.
- It’s possible to do 1-3 of these “Pause-Rest” rounds in one set.
- A technique I will sometimes do that I call “Extreme Load Training” is actually increasing the weight slightly during that 5-10 sec pause-rest for 1-2 reps.
I am sharing this because we will be doing lots of “Pause-Rest” rounds here soon in my free 12-week lean bulk trainer “Basic & Big”.
Michael Wittig, ISSA CPT
IPE Natural Pro
Kaged Muscle Athlete
All socials: WittigWorks