The more muscle you have the more efficient your body will be burning fat. The problem most people encounter when trying to cut is that they lose too much muscle making the process even harder. Here are some of the things I do personally to keep as much muscle as possible while in a prolonged calorie deficit:
- Don’t under eat! I try to eat as much as possible while dropping body fat. Then if I need to reduce calories, typically via carbs, I can make a slight adjustment. If you drop your calories too much you might slow down your metabolism and lose muscle. Remember your body needs all the macronutrients protein, carbohydrates, and fats- just in the correct ratios for your situation and goals.
- Keep cardio minimal. We all need to do some cardio specifically for heart health. Cardio is a great way to help burn additional calories and lose fat. But doing too much cardio can start digging into too many calories and cause muscle loss. I typically start steady state sessions at a low 15 minutes and gradually add a few minutes only if I hit a stall. HIIT I start with a limited 7 rounds and may graduate to 10 mins. I have never done more than 20 minutes of steady state or 10 minutes of HIIT for recent cutting cycles.
- Do resistance training! You can lose weight just by changing how you eat, but you can speed up the process by including resistance training to build muscle which in turn helps you burn fat. Doing resistance training while cutting will also help you keep the muscle you have while eating in a calorie deficit. During my cutting cycles I lift in all rep ranges from a heavier 6-8 reps, moderate 10-15 reps, and sometimes as high as 50-100 reps.
- Supplement with protein at the right times. I have my Kaged Muscle post workout Re-Kaged (fast digesting whey and more) immediately after every weight session. I use Kaged Whey-isolate immediately upon waking (after my sleep fast) to prevent muscle breakdown. Then I end my day with Kaged Kasein slow digesting protein to give my muscles a steady steam of protein throughout the night. Get 15% off KagedMuscle.com with my code “Michael15”.
- Stay hydrated. Drinking water helps us not only build and retain muscle, but help us to eliminate fat. I personally drink 16oz of water with each meal and have another 16-20oz between meals.
-Wittig, ISSA CPT
IPE Natural Pro
Kaged Muscle Athlete
All socials: WittigWorks