In the last few years I have been able to stay fairly lean year around even while gaining muscle. Yes, I work hard in the gym, but most of it comes down to how I eat. I am able to hit a specific macro nutrient spread (protein, carbs, and fat) daily largely because of a few of my favorite snacks. I always bring in fairly high protein (1.5 grams per pound of body weight), low fat (0.5-0.65g) and carbs will vary depending if I am gaining (1.5-2.0g) or cutting (0.5-1.0g). The problem most people have is while trying to bring in enough protein to build or even just maintain muscle while cutting they in turn bring in too many carbs and/or fat. These high protein, low fat/carb snacks enable me to hit my proper macros to stay lean year around:
- Non-fat Greek yogurt (1 cup): Fat 0, Carbs 9g, Protein 23g
- Low fat string cheese (3): Fat 8g, Carbs 3g, 18g
- Re-Kaged whey protein (1 scoop in water): Fat 2g, Carbs 6g, Protein 28g
- Kasein protein (1 scoop): Fat 2.5g, Carbs 7g, Protein 25g
- Favorite “cheat” snack: Chocolate covered almonds and light popcorn. I added this just for fun. I have this every weekend.
I have a combination of 5 of the above every day resulting in ~125g of protein. In addition to my main meals this makes bringing in ~300 grams of protein daily (while keeping fat low and carbs moderate) fairly easy.
Get 15% off Re-Kaged whey protein and Kasein protein (slow digesting/best before bed) on Kagedmuscle.com with my code “Wittig15”.
-Wittig, ISSA CPT